Saturday 7 December 2013

Southampton, 7th December 2013

On a chilly but bright day it was off to Southampton to see Saga Ruby for what - for me - may be the last time. She was due to depart on her final cruise (at least with Saga) this evening, returning to Southampton for the final time on 7th January which, unfortunately for me, is a Tuesday when I'll be at work (I currently work from 0700-1730 Mondays to Thursdays). As her final departure isn't yet known but will probably be that same week, I decided to go over and get some last photos.

There was a nice little haul of ships to be had. Firstly, the outward-bound container ship APL Yangshan:




I was very pleased to see the back of Red Falcon once we'd arrived in Southampton, for reasons outlined at the bottom of this post. I went straight round to Mayflower Park to photograph Saga Ruby in the sunshine, which had made an appearance.





From the ferry just before we left.


And what I think will be my last ever shot of her. :(


The laid-up container ship Qingdao Tower is back on berth 40.


In the background Morning Camilla arrives, complete with an extra funnel looking very much like the top of Fawley Power Station chimney...


Car carriers Trinidad and Morning Camilla.


Red Falcon on her way back up Southampton Water, with the 1330 from East Cowes


Turkish tanker Yasa Seyhan just arriving at Hamble oil terminal:


Apex, which was assisting Lumen N:



Other ships in were bulk carriers King Wheat and Indra II, small general cargo ships Bramau and Huelin Dispatch, ro-ros Eurocargo Salerno, Bess and my old friend Grande Napoli, container ship APL Temasek, plus tankers Opal Express and Sten Aurora.

Disgusting footnote: I had decided to take the car ferry across instead of the Red Jet (to avoid Newport traffic and for free parking at East Cowes) and ended up wishing I hadn't. I'd had two cups of coffee before leaving home and on boarding Red Falcon's 1030 sailing I headed for the toilets. On opening the door, I quickly closed it again, as it was swimming in water and heaven-knows-what-else...so I tried the disabled toilet - exactly the same result but with a crew member attempting to unblock the toilet. There was obviously a problem, confirmed by a PA announcement to the effect that the toilet system had packed up, which in itself had a knock-on effect - no catering because, apparently, the law stipulates that, with no toilet facilities there can't be any catering either. I suppose that makes sense because what goes in has to, er, come out.
One deeply unpleasant side effect of the lavatorial drama was witnessing a bloke taking a leak on the outside deck, which I could have done without seeing; it was disgusting and uncivilised and I am sure that arrangements could have been made for anyone that desperate! I reported it to an officer, telling her she might want to get someone to hose off the outer deck at the aft, 'Cowes', end, her first response was 'You're joking' and when I assured her I was not, her second response was an entirely justified 'Bloody hell'. The problem was fixed later in the day and the drainage will be permanently repaired overnight on Sunday.
Red Falcon, incidentally, is due to have completely new interiors, improved seating (not before time), an improved pet area (again not before time - why should pets and their owners be confined to a crummy, draughty area on deck?) and, if this is a success, the other vehicle ferries will get the same treatment.

Something else that disgusted me was finding a length of fishing line, complete with hooks, strung across the walkway on the western side of Town Quay. Fishing is supposed to be banned on Town Quay but I have seen worm-drowners deliberately flouting the laws and continuing to fish with seeming impunity. Breaking the by-laws is one thing but, whether through ignorance, laziness or malice, deliberately leaving fishing line and hooks lying round where wildlife, pets or people could injure themselves on them is fuckwittery of the highest order. If an animal - wild or a pet - or a small child had got hold of those hooks they'd have caused quite nasty injuries, and wildlife suffers greatly, and needlessly, from discarded fishing lines and hooks. I removed this stuff and binned it and I'll be emailing ABP, who Town Quay belongs to.


On a happier note, Town Quay is FINALLY being repaired. I hope it means the end of that infernal fence!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting a 70D to go with my 6D sometime next week. I did have a 600D which I'd bought to use as a back up but I ended up not using it, simply because I couldn't get on with it. The 70D's controls are more akin to the 6D's, unlike those on the 600D.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I hadn't mentioned on previous posts - barring any airline, air traffic, weather-related or other trouble, I am going to Rotterdam next month and sailing back on the new Norwegian Getaway, sister of Norwegian Breakaway, then I am doing a one-night cruise from Southampton and back. I am being joined by my friend Patricia and there's also be other friends on the cruise as well. Only a very short trip but should be fun.